The purpose of this course is to provide an overview of the HIV/AIDS legislative and policy requirements that govern HIV and AIDS activities.
The primary audience for this course is people who manage and/or implement USAID-supported HIV and AIDS activities. It is important for USAID staff, implementing partners, and host country government representatives to understand the requirements.
The course will specifically review the requirements for:
- Medically accurate information about condoms
- Prostitution and sex trafficking
- Conscience Clause
- Working with faith-based organizations (FBOs)
- Working with military, police, prisons, and other law enforcement personnel
- Voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC)
- HIV and AIDS and family planning (FP/HIV) integrated activities
- Abortion and Involuntary Sterilization Restrictions
After successfully completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the existing major legal and policy requirements applicable to USG HIV and AIDS activities;
- Understand the application of the legal and policy requirements that impact FP/HIV integrated programs;
- Describe actions for ensuring compliance with the requirements; and
- Know whom to contact for further information or assistance and how to access resource materials.
The course was last updated in January 2020. However, to ensure that certificates of completion remain up-to-date, the course will be taken down at the end of December and republished in early January every year.
We would also like to acknowledge the following technical reviewers for their valuable input:
- Lindsay Miller, USAID/Office of Population and Reproductive Health
- Elaine Menotti, USAID/Office of Population and Reproductive Health
- Richael O’Hagan, USAID/Office of Population and Reproductive Health
- Kimberly Cole, USAID/Office of Population and Reproductive Health
- Mary Vandenbroucke, USAID/Office of Country Suppport
- Tamara Bates, USAID/General Counsel
- Rahel Beigel, USAID/Office of HIV/AIDS
- Peggy D’Adamo, USAID/Office of Population and Reproductive Health
- Kim Ahanda, USAID/Office of HIV/AIDS
- 2 hours
- Monday, January 9, 2023
- Meghan Mattingly, USAID/Office of HIV/AIDS
- Mary Catharine McKeithen, USAID/Office of HIV/AIDS
- Lisa Mwaikambo, CCP